All right so I can FINALLY say that I have conquered acne. After I submitted the previous entry in 2014 I still got acne but not as often (I was also under a lot of stress and some serious exhaustion at that time lol… ad now i’m a normal HUMAN BEING . i don’t feel like exploding) and I got 2 HUGE ASS simples from using cosrx bha and aha incorrectly… by that using both at the same time. you gotta be careful with acids and work very gradually with them. but besides the inappropriate use I don’t think I’m compatible with cosrx bha/aha on my face… they just cause acne because those huge ass pimples were on places of my face where I NEVER get acne… Paula’s choice has NEVER given me acne… so PLEASE PROCEED with caution and work into it slowly like once a week, 2 times a week, etc. I do not get acne anymore!!! Like I said before probably there’s no point going after post inflammation hyperpigmentation without ridding yourself of acne. and as much as there’s all this buzz around skincare ingredients that are “beneficial” towards acne (vitamin c serum blahblah)… you really need to go after the big guns that are proven to EXTREMELY effective from DECADES of data and research if you want to ACTUALLY rid yourself of acne. sure they’re helpful but there’s no guarantee. So I’m writing a follow-up /conclusion entry about my victory against acne.
So I’ve been 4 months strong COMPLETELY ACNE FREE since I started doing this
I stand by my points from my previous entry: https://choronghi.wordpress.com/2014/09/17/acne-tips/
here are some additions and modifications that have eliminated acne for me.
It has to do with washing my face. Isn’t it irritating when you have acne or acne scars and you do wash your face but people think you don’t or even worse have the audacity to say to you or ask you do you wash your face?!…. but now that I think about it you really aren’t washing your face. by that I mean you’re not washing your face effectively so you face is still dirty and that’s why you get acne. I thought I had revelations when I heard about the awadate foaming net but there’s still more to that to wash your face effectively.
the face bar soap I was using before was too drying but the pH was fine… I don’t use it no more.
here’s a summary of how I wash my face in the morning.
1) Rinse water on ONLY the parts of my face where I get acne
2) After it dries for the most part, apply benzyl peroxide gel (5%) in those areas
3) After 5 minutes (or even less sometimes if I really don’t have time), rinse my face with water then wash my face Paula’s choice clear pore face wash only on parts of my face where I get acne (it’s a gel and so if I don’t use an awadate net I only do the vulnerable areas). Sometimes I forget and only use water but I didn’t get acne 😀
4) do my Asian beauty inspired skin-care including sunscreen. i had to post this shit myself because three’s so many beautygurus that apply sunscreen like some expensive ampoule or essence that they just have to use super sparingly. hell if it’s an expensive ampoule essece you should try to apply it evenly not sparsely!
DAMN the the misconceptions about sunscreen drive me insane since i had that shit banged into my hand from the japanese TV shows
5) I will mention a skincare product that is available in the US and is very good for your skin and hence will help with acne unless for some reason one of the ingredients don’t agree with your skin (it’s very clean on CosDNA). That is Cerave PM because it has 4% niacinamide… check out the summary on beautypedia… it’s one of those PROVEN skincare ingredients alongside retinol and LAA vitamin c serum.
ABOUT THE PRICE OF THE PRODUCTS I MENTIONED
I don’t think they’re expensive considering how long they’ll last. Benzoyl peroxide is relatively cheap (you do not need to buy paula’s choice etc… just get the cheapest one! lol… 5% should be plenty) and paula’s cohice cleanser may seem kinda pricey but it lasts a REALLY long time because I only use it on the parts of my face that are acne proe and it’s really slippery so it’s easy to spread. if you really want to use it on your whole face you can use the foamning net and minimize product usage. Plus it’s really well formulated. you don’t have to the worry about the pH or it smelling it like shit etc.
**Benzoyl peroxide is effective but I could never get myself to use it every day simply because it’s so drying and it interferes with my skincare routine since it takes up a layer. BUT I read on reddit that it can be used to this way where you only leave it on for a few minutes. trust me, IT WORKS.
1) oil cleanser (sunscreen is damn tenacious)
2) Korean foaming cleanser
3) skincare routine
I do benzyl peroxide EVERYDAY. I don’t even want to risk trying to extend that out to every other day because I like my acne free face. I have the same sentiment towards the Paula’s choice cleanser…. what if I get acne if I take it out… For info on why they’re effective you can go to the website.
Weekly or Twice a week : Paula’s choice 4% foaming BHA on a fresh clean face as first step (so I don’t have to use bha every day which is the case with 2% etc ). This retexturizes my skin (I notice the difference the very next day) and keeps my pores clean like them blackheads.
Benzoyl peroxide and BETA HYDROXY acids are PROVEN ingredients with lots and lots of studies and data. Check out Paula’s choice beautypedia. and seriously what the fuck is up with those beauty gurus on youtube that post an acne routine and it doesn’t have salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide or they use shit products (you’ll literally see their face covered in acne and fresh acne scars in the beginning of a make upvideo or they’ll say they still get acne but it really helps. all i’m thinking is bitch that means your shit routine ain’t working) and swears by them lol …
I want to emphasize part of the reason why this works is because I am VERY vigilant about it by using the benzyl peroxide EVERYDAY. There was an article that was posted where they took super zoomed pictures of a pimple after it exploded and all that and it showed that after 28 days that “hole” started filling up again etc (HOWEVER with the naked eye you cannot see that). I used to be too optimistic or maybe lazy. I would get clear skin for a week so I’d think oh I’m over this “acne phase” finally the I’d get hit with a huge one that’s painful and all that. That cycle would repeat every 2 weeks etc… just because it heals doesn’t mean the spot where that pimple exploded can’t get filled up again. You should take that as a sign to be hypervigilient about that area of your face. For some reason I only had motivation to use benzyl peroxide if I had acne on my face or I had it recently but if I had clear skin for a week I felt like riding it out and testing the waters and see how much longer I could extend it. that is the WRONG way to think about it. You have to super pessimistic and assume some huge pimple is going to erupt on your face the next day, end of the day, etc if you don’t use effective products like benzyl peroxide everyday etc. you have to picture the craters getting refilled with crap and germs…. and your first line of defense is benzoyl peroxide!!!
HERE IS THE MORE DETAILED BREAKDOWN of the actual products if you do want to read that. I hate it when I go to asianbeauty blogs and people go ON AND ON about their skincare routine and there’s no way to follow it.
1) oil cleanser (sunscreen is damn tenacious) – DHC cleansing oil and SOFTYMO cleansing oil – white or regular (both have a citrus smell because one of the oils is of citrus origin… it’s not PARFUM). I’m going to try the SPEEDY cleansing oil from softymo because that one has no smell to it.
2) Korean foaming cleanser – I am in the low ph face cleanser camp! ( asianbeauty reddit) so I use LJH tea tree foaming cleanser OR COSRX cleansing gel using the awadate net so they last much longer than if I didn’t use the net. they both smell like tea tree oil because they contain tea tree oil. it doesn’t bother me, and it’s not strong.
3) asianbeauty inspired skincare routine – i can attribute this to my state of being acne free by encouraging my skin to be healthy. for example if you overexfoliate that can cause your skin to become vulnerable to germs etc and cause you to break out (not sure how much bezoyl peroxide and paula’s cohice fash wash will help you there). so BE CAREFUL.
AGAIN REGARDING PRICE
i BOUGHT DHC whe they had a special deal for new customers because i just wanted to try it. it smells like olive oil because it contains olive oil nd not because they put perfume in it. it’s costly so i wouldn’t buy it again lol.
softymo is affordable even having it sent over from japan via ebay or amazon etc. and if you use rakuten or buy many at the same time, you save even more time.
LJH tea tree fomaing cleanser is expensive but you can get it for like 14 dollars off of HKCplaaza if they’re having a sale.
cosrx is 10 dollars .. just 10 if you can get free shipping from membox or wish trend etc. it’s good stuff.
Here’s my paulas choice referral code for ten dollars off first purchasE
BTW I do not go to sleep early and i just cannot…. so it’s not a necessity to eliminate acne.
as a little epilogue I’M SUPER EXCITED TO TRY OUT
shark sauce and stratia rewind to help with hyperpigmetation. unfortunately i have other products to use up right now 😦